Terramar

Monday, May 25, 2009

It's been awhile..


Sunday.
Upon arriving@ 7AM, it was gray,cool with a breeze, minimal surf.
It was not what my friend Dave would describe to me as "inviting".
Lot's of regulars were suiting up, with big smiles and
story telling, coffee , and laughter. The typical weekend scene, but more crowded due to Memorial day.
I was hoping that my son and I would surf and (at least temporarily )forget some not so hot news concerning college we got just before going out that morning.
That, and Sundays dawn patrol never happened.
This news has dragged down our family's spirits collectively.
We parked, looked at the scene, then each other,
then left.
Bummer.
.......
Got a call from Dave at about 12 noon as he was headed up the coast.
He did say that the water now looked "inviting".
Jason and I headed out towards the ocean again.
This time it was warm, sunny, very little breeze, and actually a swell breaking at the beach and the Reef.
Trunks would be the attire, regardless of the temp.
As it turned out, it was perfect water temp.
I scored on this one.
I did lead us to the reef wave
I watched the reefers get wave after wave shoulder high south combos, said screw it and paddled over to and then directly into a pack of VERY GOOD SURFERS, as usual.
I was feeling good and confident after some great rides at the usual beach spot, and I wanted the big reef wave too, for us, regardless of the "vibe".
Got into a great peak and dropped, along with another.
I was in the perfect spot and he wasn't, though he tried to call me off. He then appeared to try to come around me but I cut towards him, he bailed and I continued on.
THERE ! ! I did it.
From that point on I could go for what I wanted,
for what was m i n e.
Got many more out there that day. Made my son proud. Dave had some good ones.
The water was clear enough to see the reef grass waving 10 feet under us, as we got long, fun shoulders after big drops. For me it was damn near perfection
I did a good thing. Hell, Laurie was even out for a walk to watch us for a change and she actually saw me on some waves of size.
We all walked back together, proud, tall, and stoked.
I was SUPER STOKED.
It's been awhile.

1 comment:

christian said...

I'm glad that you guys managed to salvage the day's surfing. Good on you for paddling into the thick of it and giving 'em hell. :)