Terramar

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sunday was my day

After Friday and Saturday's inconsistency in wave delivery and my own abilities for those days, I get a good one on Sunday.
THE swell is coming on quite a bit bigger, with better shape and frequency.
Not too many people were out @ 645. My surf buddy Dave decided he wasn't in.
So as I am walking down, another friend, Squat, joins me and suggests we paddle out in a channel he knows of down the way a bit.
Jim is an experienced surfer and literally has surfed Terramar, for what I believe is every day for the last, well, MANY years.
So..... I take him up on his offer and wisdom. It was a great help, as I can get a bit squirreled
during paddle outs on big days. Made it out without events or issues in a rather relaxed way.
Paddled to just south of Ted's house and Jim just kept going North toward warm waters. We stayed about 150 yards apart and watched each other a bit.
Large waves would come through in 5 wave sets.
Few people were where I was.
I don't like sharing drops much when things get big, so this was good.
OK, so I get a couple great rights and a few lefts. The speed was pretty amazing on these waves.THE SIZE was great too....head high faces.
I chose high lines and middle of the board positioning for speed.
I did choose my 10'3" even though the inside part of these waves Sunday were nasty closeouts. I made this decision based on the thought that I would be able to get into the waves on the outside and much earlier than with other boards, or for that matter people. It gave me an undeniable edge making it easier for me to hand pick better shaped waves.
This worked perfectly on this day
I did surf well and I felt great about the whole thing.
I am working my way towards my goal again.
The photo below is the first photo of me surfing. My son took it.
It has special meaning to me as well.
It is me

I put it here as I am beginning to feel like "me" again.
I am leaving behind the surgical tragedy of almost 2 years ago and
once again improving my surfing abilities.

surf on...

2 comments:

Jamie Welsh Watson said...

The photo and your feelings are beautiful!!

Bill said...

Thank you Jaime !