Terramar

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Mondays blues

continued.......
After that paddle Dave and I sat outside and laughed for awhile. It was good to overcome the situation, to fight for it. I am speaking of the fact we almost weren't able to make it out.

THE morning was so beautiful , Clear skies with the sunrising on us in the pure deep green glassy water and BIG ,long interval swells.
After a few minutes to catch my breath I said, "OK all dressed up and nowhere to go"
Almost every wave was a jack up, close out mostly due to the tide and huge amount of water in front of them. I stood up on 3-4 waves in an hours time and could not drop down the face for the off shores holding me back.
Some of those closeouts would release a 20 foot high shower of water on us of the top and to the back side of the peak and as they closed out. It was like some pointing a fire hose up into the air and getting showered with it after the waves went by.
I have been in that before but not to that extreme.

Dave tried for one ,and I think he couldn't drop. He got caught inside as a clean up set came through. He was done and waited for the right ride straight in.
After he got back up the cliff to his truck ,and changed, he waited, for me. I was almost alone in the water where I was. I was trying to find a shoulder to grab. Nope. A good hour went by and I knew the tide would soon be a t a 6 foot apex and the situation was becoming increasingly dangerous. I was tired form the paddle out and all the paddling to maneuver and then get over clean up sets without getting caught . I was looking for a way in. I tried going in a bit closer to get some smaller waves but would miss those due to the high tide jack and warble thing then have to scratch back outside and over the sets.
Did this a couple times the the inevitable clean up mother, thankfully broke way the hell out there and I got an E ticket ride in on a 4-5 foot wall of white that rocketed me, on my belly, full blast all the way up onto the stones.
Thanks for waiting Dave.
Thanks for the opportunity, survival skills, all that beauty, and pure exhilaration, God !
surf on....

No comments: